A co-worker of Dan's invited us to his church to celebrate Purim by watching their Purim Spiel of South Shushanic. If you're not sure what Purim is (which I didn't at the time), it is the Jewish holiday that celebrates Queen Esther and how she saved her Jewish people from the wrath of Haman. It was great! Every year, Jeff (Dan's friend) and others from his synagogue perform a comical play to celebrate. This year's was South Shushanic (a take from South Pacific), singing and all. It was great. I had to ask Dan afterwords what some of the lingo meant. One of the songs was "I'm in love with a wonderful Goy" I guess Goy is a Jewish name for a gentile. I asked Dan what a goy was, he told me that I was a goy, a gentile. Jeff corrected him and said, no, Crystal is a goyl. ha ha ha We had lots of fun. It was kind of weird listening to them make jokes about themselves being Jews. They even had the audience sing the finale with them. It was funny, but I would never sing something like that except in that setting. From a gentile point of view, any other setting might sound derogatory towards people of the Jewish faith. Here are some words from the finale as an example:
Happy talk, keep talking happy talk!
Schmooze about things you like to do!
If you don't have Jewish friends
If you don't learn Jewish ways
How you gonna enjoy being a Jew?
Talk about December, what a great relief
No need to buy for everyone you know!
Talk about Christmas Eve, eating Chinese food
Relaxing at a local movie show!
Can you sing it in your head? Probably only if you've seen South Pacific. I thought it was quite funny. Donovan still goes around the house singing "I'm gonna wash that king right out of my hair." I smile. I hope we get invited next year. Some of the other musical Purim Spiels have been Little Shop of Morror, Beauty of the East, Schmmoozik Man, Wizard of Shushan, Queen Esther's Lonely Hearts Club Band, etc. I wonder what they'll come up with next time.
2 comments:
sounds cool. That was neat of him to invite you guys.
I LOVE Purim. In Hebrew class we would act out the story of Esther, always booing when anyone said Mordecai. We would also dress up like Halloween and go "trick-or-treating" of sorts. By far the funnest Jewish holiday. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it.
Post a Comment