Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Invasion of the Caterpillars!

We let the big boys out in the backyard to play while Dan & I cleaned up and got dinner ready. All of a sudden we heard Donovan screaming. The boys didn't look hurt, but Dan was concerned and started heading out the slider. As he was going, I bet him that is was probably about a bug. (Just a hunch, I've been through this before.) Sure enough, somehow a caterpillar got on Donovan's shirt, how? I don't know. Dan got it off, and Donovan continued to freak out. I was finished with my inside stuff, so I stayed outside while Dan went back in. Now I could see why Dono was a little paranoid. Our backyard was crawling -literally- with caterpillars.


a huge clump on our shed.
Just on our deck and cement slab by our house I counted 31 caterpillars. Holy moly! They were everywhere. Their eggs must have been laid close by. I know the butterflies themselves are good to pollinate our garden, but what about the caterpillars? Does anyone know if they'll be a nuisance? I guess we'll find out. Watch where you step!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

they are tent caterpillars! Kill them ALL !!!! they make those nasty looking spider bag things up in trees and they can wipe out a whole tree. We had them in VA. they are pretty hard to get rid of. When they come they sure do come & multiply like mad. We had many burning parties to rid our yard of them. We never totally did - As a kid- i used to play with them and carry them around =)

The Wessman Family said...

We went on a walk on sunday and they were everywhere!!

Stephanie said...

Ugh. I couldn't bring up the photos on this computer, but hopefully they're not gypsy moths, because those eat your trees! Skyler's been freaking out about bugs lately too-tons of fun for playing outside in the summer!

Crissybug said...

I don't blame him. Those are nasty looking things. If Rachel is right...hopefully you were able to get rid of them! Yuck!

said...

WOW, that's insane! Those things are gigantic too! I don't know how they do with gardens, I know they eat leaves... :-) At least you know they can't harm anything- like the boys. Miss you!

Melissa M. said...

From what I know about caterpillars, they get very hungry. You might put things out for them like an orange, a cupcake, a lollipop, a slice of pie, etc.